The NDP is hiring! For all of you wide-eyed Jack Backers out there, you could score your dream job of a lifetime working as Jack Layton’s legislative assistant for example.
Writing memos, fetching coffee, coming up with witty one-liners to summarize the Pacific Rim impact on the national trade deficit… YES!
While he’s “Jack” to the whole country, he could be “yes Mr. Layton, sir” to you!
Among the key duties listed:
- “Research, maintain files, prepare strategy and policy proposals and brief Leader on matters relating to his critic areas”
- “Liase with labour movement”
- “answering telephones, reception, sorting mail”
Among the qualifications listed:
- “Strong writing abilities and editing skills”
- “Ability to work well in a creative team environment”
- “Knowledge of the New Democratic Party, the labour movement, government departments, NGOs and agencies as well as riding priorities”
The job posting also states:
“A collective agreement is in effect between the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada (Local 232) and the Federal New Democratic Caucus. A ten working day appeal period outlined in article 15.03 applies to this position. All terms and conditions in the Collective Agreement apply to this posting and this position. All applications will be received and held in confidence. Present and former members of CEP Local 232 or PASS should so indicate on the application.”
And while the posting concludes with “The NDP is an employment equity employer”, the posting also boldly states: “NOTE: THERE IS A PREFERRED CANDIDATE FOR THIS POSITION”